Thursday, August 05, 2004

All in the Game

Service. Nice and low. They pick up at back row, bad set, helped on by the third. Free ball to us. Clean pick up right to the setter's arms. Great set, straight and high at optimal distance from the net. I leap in the air, hand raised to smack the ball as it whizzes over the net, misses all outstretched arms that converge toward it and crashes into the grass. Point. To us.

That was my one and only moment of glory on Tuesday at the volleyball courts. I went to play volleyball at the Boston Ski and Sports club. We had some good games. Although I sucked most of the time (those guys played like pros!), I did get in some good serves to save face. But by and large, I left with the feeling that I had lowered the level of their game. Not that they said anything to that effect, they are too polite...I just have to learn and practise more!

Yesterday I drove down to Harvard/Cambridge area. The Harvard Yard appeared incredibly like the Central Campus Diag at U of Michigan. Creepy yet beautiful buildings surrounding a lawn, students in bikes, walking across or just lounging about enjoying the summer. Harvard Square seems like a hang-out place. There is a Harvard co-op bookstore across the street. I made the mistake of entering it, and found it hard to drag myself out without taking a peek at every book that piqued some interest! There was this guy playing the guitar at the Square. Just like that, seated on something and playing with so much zest, he was amazing! Everyone passing by had no choice but to enjoy the music and some even stood around him and did not mind acknowledging that they were listening...

This blog is turning out to be a travelogue. Oh well, that's most of what I have to write about now.

Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home