Friday, July 16, 2004

The Complicated Life of a Simple Person

It's hard to be simple. Yeah, really. You go to a coffee shop. Can you go to the counter and say "I'd like to have a cup of coffee."? Of course you can't, you have to wade through several options before you can zero in on exactly how much sugar and cream you need in your coffee, uh sorry, in your cappucino or latte or whatever. Same story everywhere, mayo or mustard, 2% milk or 1% milk, coke or diet coke or caffeine-free coke....Actually, it's not too bad, and you kinda get used to it. But it's a lot different back home. You can effortlessly go to a mess* in Madras and demand a kaapi**. Steaming coffee in a steel davara-tumbler*** will be before you in minutes, sugar, milk et al.

On the other hand, there are many things that are simpler here than back home. Travelling for one. I can take my car and drive anywhere quite easily. It's not insane to consider a cross-country drive even. It would be unnerving to plan such a thing in India! I guess there's two sides to every coin.

So people, I am off to Boston tomorrow, should be exciting! The fun part is that the Boston Democratic Convention is on Jul 26-29 and parts of the city may be cordoned off in the period before and after the convention too! People here have had enough of me cribbing about it, but it shouldn't be too bad. Will miss the funjunkies group out here though (they have been trying to convince me of the same!). Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, Summer picnic (from work) and then dinner with India's parents (with whom I hardly get to spend time with again!). Should find time to pack somewhere in the middle of all this!

Sundry funny axiom I got from a friend's email: There are 2 kinds of people, those who are good with words, and others who are erm...thingy. :-)

So long, folks! Bay Area junta, don't forget me because I am on Eastern time! And folks on Eastern time, no excuse not to call me now!!

mess = informal inexpensive eating place
kaapi = coffee in Tamil
davara-tumbler = South Indian version of cup and saucer. Ideal for cooling the coffee by pouring it back and forth between the davara and the tumbler.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to see english meanings of ur tamil words in the blogs. helps north indians like me

July 19, 2004 at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home