Monday, June 28, 2004

War and Peace

Ok, so I watched Fahrenheit 9/11 on Friday. But this is not going be what you think it will be, it is not a movie review. It is a narration of how my perception of the armed forces and war underwent a 180 degree change. Not that anyone wants to know... but anyway, that's not going to stop me now is it?... :-)

I was a firm believer in the spirit of the armed forces: the heroism of serving your country, being ready to give up your life for your nation, the pride when you wear the smart uniform! A lot of this attitude has to do with my NCC (National Cadet Corps - the student wing of the Armed Forces in India) experiences, NCC Army in school and NCC Navy in college. I even tried out to be a Pilot for the Indian Air Force (I failed the third round aptitude test).

But as I was watching Fahrenheit 9/11, I realized that I no longer supported the idea of war or of the armed forces. It's not that the movie changed my opinion, but the movie made me realize it. Nothing, NOTHING is worth taking away another human being's life. We do not have the power to give life to a person, what right do we have to take it away?? You ask "So do we sit and watch while the enemy invades us and takes innocent lives?". Frankly, I don't know the answer to that. A few years ago, I would have said "Absolutely not! We need to fight back!". But now, it seems like such a waste. So now, innocent people from the enemy camp also die in addition! What good can that possibly do?! It will only increase bitterness on both sides! A war can never lead to a resolution (although it may seem that way). It only exacerbates the already existing tension between the warring factions.

The soldiers at war are not to blame, they are not the ones that made the decision to go to war. It's the people sitting in plush offices and don't have sons in the Forces that make these exciting decisions. Solutions? Attitude change, we need to get out of the mindset that we can find peace by brute force or by crushing a delinquent country. The important thing there is that we ALL need a change in our psyche. It won't do if one country expects the world to ban the use of nuclear weapons while she herself continues to boost her nuclear strengths. Is anyone listening?


PS- The movie is definitely worth watching, double thumbs up from me!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, thats kind of funny, I was thinking along the same lines when I watched the movie yesterday. But when your nation is being attacked by some other country, sometimes to save more lives from being killed dont you think it is justified in fighting back. Well if other people had not fought back, god knows hitler might be ruling the world right.

btw thats news - you wanted to join the Indian airforce, what a personality man.
Jokes apart I think if your grandkid is named rukmini she has a lot to live upto.

June 30, 2004 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Rookie said...

Wow Nunu, thanks! But you're the best! ;-)

July 1, 2004 at 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing is War is essential to stop unruly dictators and rogue nations. But there has to be a substantial *reason* to justify it. And UN should be given more powers.
-Krishnakanth Sankara Rama Subramaniam

July 1, 2004 at 6:13 PM  
Anonymous dog on woman sex stories true said...

PerhapsGrandpa had brought the wanderlust with him from Odin. I know so.
69 position lesbian sex stories
sexy sister stories
free male bestiality stories
all free animalsex incest stories
free erotic cartoon comic sex stories
PerhapsGrandpa had brought the wanderlust with him from Odin. I know so.

December 4, 2010 at 3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home