Friday, August 20, 2004

Power Puff Girls

Condoleezza Rice, Security Advisor to the Bush administration is the most powerful woman in the world, according to Forbes. Well, you can say what you will about her credibility. Second is the Chinese Vice premier, Wu Yi from the Communist Party of China. And.....our "very own" Sonia Gandhi is third. Here's how they came up with the ranking: "For each candidate, we came up with a numerical weight defined by her title and resume, the size of the economic sphere in which she wields power... and the number of global media mentions." I see Sonia as a reluctant party leader who does not bring any image of power to my mind. The Bush and Clinton ladies follow at ranks 4 and 5. Besides Wu Yi whom I don't know much about, none of the others really stir any inspiration.

One woman who does symbolize power is Kiran Bedi. Smart, gutsy and effective, I think she made everyone look up and take notice. She is up there in my "people-to-admire" list! There are other women who wield power too in their own ways...like my mother, wonder if my dad would find anything in the house if not for her! ;-)

Onto feminism. I am no feminist, but I believe that it is fair for women to desire equality. Note, we say equality, not reservations or favouritism. If women have to be given "special" allowances/quotas, then it is not equality any more right? Many feminists demand reservations for women in the government, in employment etc., but that is not equality, it just emphasizes our inequality; it means that what we cannot achieve by ourselves, we use allowances/reservations to achieve. If we are equals, why do we need special attention to accomplish anything?

I have no idea why I am into writing about all this serious stuff now...maybe it is time for another trip?! Maybe not.

Have a fantastic weekend!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i remember reading an article a long time back which mentioned kiran bedi being too much media-savvy (so to say). so when u quote "she made everyone look up and take notice" makes me think whether this puts emphasis on the way she portrays most of her actions to media and whether "this quality" needs to be present in every person who wishes to do something great? it cud also be possible that the media may be blowing up her image a bit too much something abt which she cannot do much...to a certain extent. (i can be wrong since i have not investigated this myself...so apologies to all the kiran-bedi fans)

August 23, 2004 at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home