Thursday, August 19, 2004

Child's Play

For the second time in the last few weeks, I had someone say to me that the best we can do to help India on her way up is to focus on children. I agree, children are the key, the beacon that will light India's future. There are 44 million destitute children in India, 12.4 million are orphans. It is estimated that India has the largest number of children orphaned by AIDS in the world. Wouldn't it be great if every family that could afford it decided to adopt a child? I understand that there may be several issues that come up, and I'm chicken enough to tell you not to come back to me in a few years time and ask me if I did adopt a child. But it's a thought, a thought I believe is well-worth pursuing. Doesn't every child deserve the happy childhood we were fortunate to have?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a very noble thought...must say!! to add... true, there can be issues in adopting a child and bringing him/her home... however, the present condition of orphanages in India can definitely be improved. HOW??...is the big question.

August 20, 2004 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a theory that every single problem of India can be attributed to the "exponentially" rising population. I remember seeing sometime back that we crossed the great landmark of 1 billion. We are about to overtake China soon.

I am sure its a chain reaction -- decrease population -> more opportunities -> per capita consumption & lifestyle increases and so on. But is it possible?

August 21, 2004 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Rookie said...

Lots of questions...answers?

BTW, Anonymous 1 and Anonymous 2, who art thou?

August 23, 2004 at 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous 2 is me !!

Any anonymous post which is intellectually stimulating, inspiring and invigorating is probably mine! get that Ruks..

-krish

August 24, 2004 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Rookie said...

Krish, I thought it was you when it is insolent, infuriating or insufferable! Kidding :-)

August 27, 2004 at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home