Thursday, April 07, 2005

Government spending wisely?

The American Government sometimes does spend money in useful ways. Let me explain. I contacted the Stanford Blood Center to make an appointment to get tested to be a bone marrow donor. I was a little dubious about their acceptance because I have been turned down at blood donation camps previously because I had either lived or travelled to India too recently. Apparently, that does not apply to bone marrow donations because the stem cells that they care about are not related to the fear of malaria that applies to blood. Anyway, coming back to what I wanted to talk about, the friendly man at the other end of the phone mentioned that the testing fee would be waived for me because I was a minority. It is not waived for Caucasian/Americans as he told my friend India when she made an appointment. This is because Caucasians have ~90% chance of finding a match when they need a marrow transplant, while Asians or minorities have a 20-30% chance! The government, seeing that this was dangerously low, decided to provide incentives to up that number. The outcome of that being the waiver of the testing fee. Not bad, uh? Now all this is of no use unless you, reading this, actually make use of that waiver and get yourself to that testing center closest to you!

Click here for donor center information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home