Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Hills


On days like today, the hills appear hazy and recline shyly under their veil of dust. But there is hope for clearer days in the winter. Days in which the hills, in their green and brown skin, stand tall as a beautiful contrast to the blue sky. And then, there are days, like one last week, when the fog is so thick that the cars on the highway use only the gleaming red eyes of the car in front of them as a guide. The signs on the highway and the trees beside appear out of the fog like ghastly shadows in a moor. I could not see more than a few feet in front of me, but I could feel the hills behind the fog curtain, strong and silent, like an unseen yet steadfast protector.

And on days when I am out climbing the hills, I look at the tiny cars on the highway and wonder if they notice the hills.

Photo: Thanks to vzaliva's Flickr set (via Google).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home