Saturday, September 16, 2006

Dog Days

I am not an animal hater, by any means. I wince when I see a dead animal on the road. I do not eat animals and for a while, I contemplated joining the SPCA. But what is this obession with dogs? I am referring to dog owners who can't (or won't) understand that there is a reason why some people don't own dogs.

1) Does it ever strike these people that may be some people did NOT grow up with dogs around them? Maybe you were one of the children in the white-picket-fence + 2.5 children + 1 dog American dream. But I wasn't.

2) Why only dogs? One can be allergic to cats, and get sympathy. But if you are "allergic" to dogs, you immediately belong to a different category of humans. Or better still, you are branded inhuman! What if I had a snake as a pet, and told you very convincingly "He won't hurt you, he just wants to give you a hug", would you be ok? Huh?

So get real, people. And be reasonable. Yes, dogs are ADORABLE and VERY FRIENDLY, I am sure. And I KNOW that your dog means NO harm. But am I allowed some time to get used to the fact that there is a hulking 100 pound animal running around? I can handle the gentle woof, the dramatic run up (with me pretending to be ok and staying put, while actually being rooted to the ground in fear), or even the perfunctory sniff around my feet. But when your friendly dog gets his forelegs on my chest and tries to knock me over (all part of his active playtime, of course), excuse me while I bring my heart rate back to normal. A romantic face-to-face with a canine is not exactly my cup of tea.

PS - No, the weather has nothing to do with the title.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

I definitely know what you mean. Just because it's a dog, people expect you to love them. The comparison with the snake was well-made, hehe.

October 27, 2006 at 4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home